Monday, January 25, 2016

Cracking the Code of the Blockbuster Imperative

I can't tell you how many times I've been in a comic book or collectibles shop and overheard a conversation about how badly a studio handled a project beloved from another medium, or how another project would have been a better idea.

Fans have definite opinions about these things but they are infrequently consulted because they rarely back-up those opinions with trackable purchase power.

In researching the 14th episode of the Pod Sequentialism podcast, I crunched numbers from  a bunch of different sources (including a great article by the Hollywood Reporter's Pamela McClintock) and came across a pattern that can't possibly be lost on the studios.

In fact, it's an actual formula for box office success that has thus far only experienced a 5% margin of error. I feel like Christian Bale in The Big Short; like I've combined enough data to reach a conclusion that has to be worth a fortune to the right people. But, instead of knocking on studio doors, or writing my own article for The Hollywood Reporter or Variety, I'm imparting this knowledge to you, my listenership.

Stream it here on the Meltdown Comics site.
Or Subscribe here via iTunes.

Tune in every Sunday for a new episode of Pod Sequentialism with Matt Kennedy!

No comments:

Post a Comment